Monday, July 25, 2011

EIGHTEEN AGAIN


                                              
I was listening to the radio the other day when they played an old rendition of the late George Burns singing, “I wish I was eighteen again.” Well, singing might be a stretch. Old George sounded more like a combination between a bad auctioneer and a Hindu priest chanting, but the quality of the music is not what I want to talk about. What it really brought to mind for me is, what if there was a magical way to do it--- would I want to be eighteen again?

Life is a journey through time and for those of us who have the good fortune to live to old age we went through many trials, tests and experiences to get there. These may be bad, good or indifferent, but all of them are a learning experience and if you are paying attention things should get somewhat easier as you go along. But on the way, make no mistake about it; you will have to pay your dues.  The greatest part of this escapade takes place after you are eighteen. Before that you should have had parents or guardians to lean on when things got sticky.

Back to the question would I want to be eighteen again? I really gave this some thought and as much as having my youth back seems so desirable, being eighteen today-- and being eighteen back in nineteen fifty nine—well it was a whole different world back then. When I was going out into the world in 1959 our country was far more prosperous and much more respected then it is today. At least in my mind. Jobs were available for those who wanted to work and working was what people wanted to do with their lives. This was long before the government tried to feed everyone and run their lives. Fresh from the victories of World War II our country was looked upon as a symbol of peace and freedom. We had just won the last war we would win in the next fifty years although we would participate in several more.

Yes, the world has evolved into something most of us old codgers are not sure about. But in the other hand there are those of us who don’t like change at all. We liked it the way it was and we gripe about people who are always trying to reinvent the wheel. But progress always comes with some decent and always has. If it were up to some of us the roads would still be filled with model T’s and the Dodgers would still be in Brooklyn. But there are different kinds of change in the world today that we feel are eating away at our moral fiber and I feel that is where the real problem is. We can cope with new fangled electronics and cars that are homes on wheels. We can’t accept some of the changes that seem to go against Gods laws that we were brought up with.

So would I like to be eighteen again? Well if I could have my youthful body back and all of the knowledge I have accumulated over the last fifty some years—yes. But we’re dealing with a little bit of fantasy here and truth be told it isn’t going to happen To those who are eighteen today and just going out into the world. I envy your enthusiasm and the opportunity you have to make this an even better place then we did. We’ve passed the torch and if it seems somewhat reluctantly-- please understand. Because all to soon your babies will be asking you for that same torch and time will have marched on and you will be asking yourself the question. Would I like to be eighteen again?




No comments:

Post a Comment