Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A MORE SUBTLE LIFE


                                             
I was privileged to meet some of my neighbor’s friends the other day. The reason I wanted to write about these people is that they were not people we get to meet and talk with very often. At least I don’t. Their lifestyle dictates being quiet, reclusive and respectful of others. You see, these people were from Illinois and they are Amish. I think, for a lot of us, we feel that the sort of lifestyle these people choose to live would be boring and mundane, and we ask “why?” But what I found out was, “why” and just the opposite.

I often write about the changes that have come to our world over the years. I write about how distant we have become from each other in a fast-paced world full of drugs, alcohol, loosening morals and disrespect for each other. Of kids married to video games and x-boxes, living in a make-believe world of fast action and violence; movies and television—filled with sex and violence and life in the fast lane. Big changes that are so hard for those of us who didn’t grow up with them to accept, and sometimes we wonder what happened to us and where it’s all going to end.

The Amish try as hard as we do to not let their young people follow the maddening crowd, but I think they are far more serious about it, and better at fighting it, than we are. They have two big reasons for this on their side. First of all, respect for their elders and others is not a recommendation to their children as they grow up, it is an essential rule. For those who don’t comply, there are consequences. I was told from an early age in my life that “rules without consequences are just advice.” I guess this just proves my parents’ point on that. Secondly, they have a deep and abiding faith in their God and they are serious about their children having that faith, too. 

I talked to my daughter last night, after meeting the Amish, and told her of my experience. She lives in the country, with her family, outside of a small Wisconsin town. She said, “Dad, I envy them. I wish I could turn back the clock and be more like them. I would love for my children to be raised like that. I can teach my kids right from wrong, and I do. But they’re in school now, and peer pressure is becoming a problem. Bad things have always existed, and I know that, but there used to be definitive lines between good and bad and it’s just not true anymore. Society is fast erasing those lines and lumping them all together.”

As my daughter alluded to, it’s hard to turn back the clocks of time. I guess, in one sense, the Amish just never went there in the first place because they sensed what would happen. We’re like addicts that have gotten used to a freer lifestyle, and now we’re hooked and there is little chance of turning back. Think of selling your F150 and buying a horse. Some call what we have done to society “progress” and in most cases I have to agree, but with progress comes unintended side effects. Greed and selfishness are not progress, though, and they take us to a lot of places we shouldn’t be. We find this out too often—too late—too much. In the “Prayer of Serenity” we ask God for the wisdom to know the difference. I think we already have that wisdom. We’re just not using it as well as the Amish do.

No comments:

Post a Comment