Wednesday, December 10, 2014

WISHES

                                                            
If you had one wish, what would you wish for and don’t tell me you would wish for more wishes. I have asked myself that question so many times but always the answers were not forth coming. Maybe its because I am a realist and had little faith it would happen and likened it to the old English proverb that said,” If wishes were horses beggars would ride, if turnips were watches, I’d wear one by my side,” That little ditty doesn’t make much sense but it does show the folly of trying to get something for nothing. Even to win the lotto you have to buy a ticket. To those who believe in a higher power, even asking for divine intervention, takes some effort on your part. You have to at least ask and practice a little faith.

I guess before we formulate a bucket list of wishes, we have to ask ourselves what is really important in this world and what isn’t and what is really possible? I used to wish and pray a lot for world peace. But then reality bit me in the butt and I grew to realize that in all of the annals of history in this world, there has never been world peace and there never will be. That somewhere, somehow, what we perceive as an evil person is trying to inflict power over some lesser members of society. There is an old Christian hymn that begins with,” Let there be peace on earth and let it began with me.” I have grown to realize that is probably all I can hope to accomplish in my lifetime when it comes to peace and believe me there are days I struggle with even that but in the end-- I am the one, I am trying to please. Maybe my wish should simply be that I could live in peace with myself.

I could wish for riches but what good would more riches do me? When I look at the world around me and all of the struggles taking place out there personally, and amongst family and friends, I realize how blest I have been. I know now, that had being rich, been one of the most important things in my life, I probably would have been rich. All to often there is a price to pay with being rich. A price that would have gone against many of the things I believe in. My late wife taught me a great lesson in life. For you see, she was a very private person who led by example. She worked hard always and loved hard too. In the end, she didn’t take to the grave with her, ideals that money can’t buy but left them to keep on giving every day in her family and friends. Maybe my wishes should be for things that I can personally make happen because that’s how wishes come true. If wishes just magically appeared to all who wished for them-- who in the world would not have all they ever wanted?

I have always thought that unless you are soliciting someone for something, like kids do at Christmas time, then your wishes are probably more like prayers. If you’re not directing your wish to any one person here on earth—then I ask-- who’s left? On the other hand, to have some celestial power grant you all of your wishes is to take away your self made dreams and ambitions. Life is much more worth living when you have goals you want to achieve and celebrations you want to have and you get there by yourself. That’s called self-satisfaction.

Now if your wish is for me to shut up. Then I will—There, you got your wish.


No comments:

Post a Comment