Tuesday, July 21, 2020

HONESTY

                                                         


Of all of the virtues we can posses, the one that leads my list, is honesty. It is also the one I think has suffered the most in today’s modern world and I have often wondered what went so terribly wrong. When did it become acceptable to out and out lie, and even if you got caught, to never apologize or make amends? I once talked to the spouse of a politician and I told her the thing that was most distasteful for me in today’s political world was the dishonesty that seems to prevail and especially at election time. She seemed to be offended and told me her husband was not dishonest. I believed her, but thought how difficult it must be for him to have to work and associate with so many that are not honest. I hope it never changes him. I really do.

We will never clean up politics until we get this important value back-- and yes--it does go far beyond politics. It’s become a new way of life for far to many people in society. For you see the loss of honesty, means the loss of trust and without trust we cannot coexist or work together. Think of Bernie Madoff, Tom Petters, and Denny Hecker to name a few. Think of the lawyers who said their clients did nothing wrong and the egg they should have had on their face after their client confessed anyway. But there is no shame in this world anymore, It’s just business as usual. We have laws to punish the guilty when they are caught, but we don’t seem to have a moral code anymore that discourages it from happening in the first place, or happening again. We seem to not be appalled by their actions and just go on with our lives. We seem to be a world of aiders and abettors.

My father never had anything that could be called materialistic. He never accomplished anything that will go down in history. He was born and died a poor man financially, but a rich man in honesty and integrity and that was his legacy. In my world he stood head and shoulders above the men I mentioned above. He once sent me a small plaque that talked about our family name and I’m not going to quote it, except for the last few lines. It went something like this. “It was clean the day you took it and a worthy name to bear. When he got from his father there was no dishonor there. So make sure you guard it wisely, for after all is said and done. You’ll be glad the name is spotless, when you give it to your son.” He didn’t just give me his name he gave me a fervent wish from him to keep it clean. I have since given it to my son. I hope he keeps it clean and passes it on.

I have members in my fathers family that broke that trust with dad. I can only hope they are ashamed and clean up their act. It’s never to late for that. I have on the other hand so many friends and family that are honest and forthright. I trust them impeccably and give thanks for their friendship and love. I hope their example is the one we all learn and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment