Tuesday, September 24, 2013

WRITING ABOUT WRITING


                                                 
Many times people ask me; how do you find something to write about every week? A good question and not an easy answer. But let me say this. Finding something to write about is easy-- but finding something to write about that people want to read--well that’s another story and maybe this column is an example of that and maybe not-- you’re my judge, not me.

I know a fair amount of writers and I think the one recurring theme that best describes them and me, is this. They tend to be passionate about things and they tend to be emotional people. Having the basic tools when it comes to writing, like expressing yourself on paper, or telling a story is part of it yes but a lot people can do that. I think what may set a good writer apart from the others is how you tell the story. I’m a headline grabber when I read but I also lose interest in stories or articles fast, when the writer hasn’t done her or his job. I suspect I speak for a lot of people. But every once in while you’ll find that one thing, you not only read but also read again. You understood it perfectly the first time but something about the way it was written brought you back once more.

The world is full of stories, some sad, some happy and all of them waiting to be told. A couple of years ago when I lost my wife I brought her story to you. Not that it was unique, a lot of people lose their mates in life but I wanted you to know how I felt at that moment. Maybe it was a pity party of sorts but to all of you who have suffered such losses; we deserve a little pity party don’t we? “Blessed are those who mourn.” Then much later along came a good change, and I wrote about a new special friend who came into my life and turned my frown upside down. A few weeks ago our coffee group lost a good friend and I wrote his wife. I wanted her to know how special he was to us and how much we miss him.  Sometimes there are things out there that just have to be said and I’m the guy that has tried to do it. I have written about how our world has changed over the years and not always for the good. From the comments I get back, there are people, who agree. I have written about the uncertain future our kids and grandkids have and I know there are more people then not that agree with me on that too. Often, they are good kids brought up right, but now bumping up against evil things and having to make hard choices. I have shared my love for the great outdoors and the seasons with you. Talked about this beautiful lake country we call home. Talked about my dog, my faith, my music and family and not necessarily in that order. I’m always hoping that in some way. I can tickle your funny bone or touch your heart.

I have all of my past columns in a folder in my computer and they number three hundred and forty. I am toying with the idea of putting them into a book or at least some of the better ones. Let me know if you think that is a good idea. My hope, in the future, is to always have something to write about. I have a new book that will be ready next year for those of you who like fiction. To those of you who have taken time to write or stop me in my travels and say hi, thank you. To those of you who have read my books-- again thank you.  You always make my day and I feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment