Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE MAN AND HIS MUSIC


                                                
Somehow for me music has always influenced my life and my feelings. Maybe it was because I wished I could say to those I loved, those same words artists said so perfectly in their music. I once had a friend-- who I knew didn’t like most modern music; --ask me what music did I like the most? For me I told him, it was Elvis when he sang, “I loved you because.” It was Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra and “The way you look tonight.” It was Tom Jones and the “Green green grass of home.” Songs that moved your heart and soul and made you want to sing along. It was a wonderful melodious way to communicate with those you cared for. Music was formed to tame the angry beast in all of us. Calm us down and alleviate our fears.

My late wife and I used to go dancing in our younger days. Dancing back then was when you actually held your partner. It was a time when you buried your nose in her soft hair, and smelled her sweet perfume, and your feet just swished away all of your cares and troubles. That little gal who hours before had been bathing kids, and washing dishes, dressed in blue jeans with her hair tied up in pony tail-- was now your princess for the night, clothed in soft silk and satin, and you never felt closer, and basically it was all because the music made you feel that way.

The music took you away from all of the daily troubles we face. It rekindled your soul and your spirit of love. It was a booster shot in a world gone crazy with work and kids and responsibilities. It was payback time for a few fleeting hours for the way you had ignored each other and taken each other for granted, because it was here and now, and you just couldn’t afford to ignore her any longer. It was a musical coupon that you redeemed to bring back the magic into your troubled lives, if only for a short enchanted evening. You drove home physically exhausted, but emotionally fulfilled, and you rode with your arm wrapped around her like high school lovers, even though there was an empty baby seat strapped between the two of you in the family station wagon. You drove forty miles an hour in a fifty-five on the way home because you didn’t want the night to ever end.

Someday, down life’s road, when my new friend and I are out enjoying life, I want to take her in my arms once more, in a special place, and at a special time and have them clear the dance floor for us. I want that spinning crystal ball and that polished hardwood floor where so many hearts once came together to be all ours for just one last dance. I want to hear, Tony B or Old Blue eyes, croon once more  ---“You’re lovely---Never, never change.  Keep that breathless charm. Won’t you please arrange it, cause I love you---Just the way you look tonight.” Ha, I got you humming didn’t I?

Mike Holst

No comments:

Post a Comment