Wednesday, August 27, 2014

LABOR DAY


Labor Day is a federal holiday dedicated to the social and economic achievements of workers. After all, the economy is the driving force that makes this nation tick, and the workers are the driving force that makes the economy tick. I grew up in a blue-collar family, the son of a railroader and a union man, who had a special place in his heart for people who worked hard to make this country great. That work ethic was so inbred in our family that even today, at a time when I should be taking it easy, I find it hard not to do something constructive with my time. Am I still just trying to make a buck? When I look at the hours I work, and the money I make, there are a lot of people in China who wouldn’t work for wages like that.

I know, I’m getting all sanctimonious here, blowing my horn, but as I look around me I see a lot of seniors, just like me, who grew up the same way. Yes, some of them still have to work to put bread on the table, but so many of them need a purpose in their lives, and for that reason they still work as much as they are able. Have you ever worked hard all day, and when you finally crawl into bed at night, you have that special kind of tiredness. You know—the kind where your muscles ache, and maybe some ibuprofen is in order to ward off the pain. But, at the same time, there is this feeling of accomplishment and you can’t wait to give it another go the next day.

I believe our country has turned its back on the workers, and there is a whole new attitude about working and workers. Almost every parent I talk to has one goal and one goal only for their kids. Get a degree and get rich fast—the American dream. No one wants their kids to be carpenters, electricians or farmers anymore. It’s almost like those jobs are beneath them. No one gets a Bachelor of Arts degree in farming, or a Master’s degree in railroading. I have three grandchildren with college degrees and none of them are working in their field. They are thousands of dollars in debt with student loans and will spend until middle age trying to catch up—if they can get a job.

I’m not trying to minimize professional people. We need leaders, too, but let’s give some credit to the men and women who fix their cars for them, build their houses, keep the lights on and the water flowing. Yes, the people who put meat and potatoes on the table, and haul those products around this great country of ours. When I was on the fire department, one of my pet peeves was the newspaper and television people giving praise to the chiefs, for a great stop or a life saved. I was a chief for a while and I used to tell them, “Look at those people in the yellow helmets with the dirty faces. Those are the ones who made it happen. Go tell them.” I know, back when I was a yellow helmet, I always slept a little better.


I have a granddaughter studying to be a doctor, and I hope she makes it, but if one of my grandkids does nothing more than drive a UPS truck, I, for one, will be just as proud of them. Let’s honor all of the workers who built this country into what it is today. Happy Labor Day, and oh yes, incidentally, it’s the end of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment