Tuesday, November 3, 2015

TODAY


Back in the sixties there was an American folk music group, “The New Christy Minstrels.” One of the songs they sang was called, “Today.” I remember the lyrics to the first verse of that song, and even today they take me back to that time in Minneapolis—a time when I was just going out into the world full of hope—and anticipation for a better life for myself. The words that still resonate with me today are from verse one--“Today, while the blossoms still cling to the vine; I’ll taste your strawberries, I’ll drink your sweet wine; a million tomorrows shall all pass away, ‘ere I forget all the joy that is mine today.” At the time, they were meaningless words to some extent, because I hadn’t lived any of those tomorrows. But just as they predicted, they did pass away and now, for the first time, I can feel the subliminal message that was in that verse, way back then, in a way I never felt it before.

There was so much joy in my world back then. I was newly married, and so in love with her and the world. Responsibilities were still few and far between. I had not yet let the world’s problems, or my own problems, press down on me like they do now. In fact, it was like I had stopped the world and gotten off for a while—content to take each day as it came and live the joy that was mine that day. But time marches on, and at some point I got back on the world, and reluctant or not, fell into step. Then with time came babies and homes, jobs and responsibilities, things no one can accurately describe for you. But for the most part life was good, and the happiness that was mine back then continued in a slightly different form, for now that happiness I craved was tinged with accomplishments and pride.

There comes a time in your life when it’s just not your life anymore, but a life you made with someone else, and the children you made. With that comes a new day of parenting and mentoring, and for the first time in your life you fall back to the generations before you to see how that was done because, after all, they raised you and did all right and those kids didn’t come with directions. You get in a never-ending rut of getting up and getting through each day; solving problems and trying to adjust to what’s in and out in life’s journey. Then slowly, the offspring fall out of the nest and test their wings. Whoever coined the phrase “mixed emotions” must have been in this part of life because you want so badly for them to succeed, but you’re still hanging on. You know that their tomorrows are now slip sliding away, too, and they are on a new course you don’t know, and you’re not driving anymore.

So now you enter into the golden years. It’s a new experience that comes without directions or mentors who have since passed on. You’re back to The New Christy Minstrels and “Today,” verse two. “I can’t be contented with yesterday’s glory, I can’t live on promises winter to spring. Today is my moment and now is my glory, I’ll laugh and I’ll cry and I’ll sleep.”



No comments:

Post a Comment