Wednesday, January 13, 2016

THE NEW ME

                                                        
A while back, through the generosity of Pat’s Daughter and son-in-law, we were invited to come to the cities and they would take us to the Guthrie Theater. Now through most of my life I have been kind of a country bumpkin so I was never one to spend a lot of time with the arts. I called them artsy fartsy kinds of people and although that sounds disrespectful, I meant no disrespect. I, in my ignorance, knew nothing of the arts but also in my own stubborn way, ---didn’t care to know either.

For most of my married life, my wife was never that insistent that I expand my horizons and see how the better half lives. Coupled with that was her desire to never spend a lot of money on entertainment. Oh, we went to Disney world and took the grandkids to theme parks. She had coupons. But the trips were far and few between. The highlight of my entertainment life was when the neighbor guy scored two tickets to the 87 World Series and took me along. My wife did not like sports. She couldn’t figure out why they didn’t give all the players a football, so they all had one and would quit fighting over just one. I did see a Neal Diamond concert once with her, obscured somewhat by some pot smokers who were in front of us. At first I was furious about it but I gradually got the giggles and nearly was thrown out singing, “Sweet Caroline.” It won’t have been so bad but Neal was singing “Hello Again” at the time. I did go to a few football games in the Metro Dome with free tickets and my son-in-law. Thank the Good Lord for being born farsighted and not afraid of heights.

Then my life changed and along came Pat. Now she has never complained about my backwards ways but in the end she arranges the entertainment calendar and I always remember my father telling me one thing. “You want to get along-- shut your mouth and go along.” So I think somewhere in her diary she’s been writing that this guy could be a much better catch, if he had a little culture. What do you do if you buy a house and it’s the wrong color? You repaint it. My friends, I am here to tell you, I’m not just being repainted, I’m being remodeled. You got to give her credit, she didn’t have a lot to work with, and she does like football and you got to love that.

So in a few short years, since we have met, I have been to the Chalburg and Tornstrom’s Auditorium. The Franklyn Art Center many times and the Theater at Mystic Lake. I have eaten in the better places around the Brainerd area. I have gone to Rome and saw the sights. I have wiggled my toes in the beaches of Hawaii gone south for the winter and I have loved it. My bucket list has been rewritten and added too many times. I’m on a roll.


Speaking of Bucket Lists. Going to the Guthrie was never on it but now that I have been there and saw “Dickens Christmas Carol,” from center stage and three rows back. Well, I put it on the list during the intermission. Crossed it off when it was over and I’m waiting to go back. I’m feeling good about myself and looking forward to the next adventure my friend can come up with. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment