Sunday, December 2, 2018

DEER HUNTING

So today is the opening of deer hunting and as I sit by my desk, I hear the gunshots out in the woods across the road and wonder if the boys got one. I hunted for over fifty years but health issues and a lack of the killing attitude that it takes to shoot a deer have left me in the house now. But there is something bigger for me this year that makes me sad. Although I didn’t hunt we were still all together for the weekend. I hunted vicariously through all of them. I helped them put up their stands and we shared a lot of good meals and time together. Next year my plan is to head south before the hunting season, so this was probably my last deer-hunting season. I think back to the years we hunted together and the love and comradely we enjoyed. The year my son and I were the only two hunting and we had spent many hours the day before placing our stands in the perfect place, planning the hunt and filing our packs with snacks, outfitted better then the U.S. army. We both got our deer before 7.30 that next morning and spent the rest of the weekend not knowing what to do with ourselves, so we watched football games. It was almost sad. I think too of the year my son, as a young man, shot a deer at dusk, wounding it and then instead of waiting for the rest of the party to help him, took off on his own and tried tracking it in the dark, until his flashlight wore out and he was hopelessly lost. He stumbled out of the woods late in the evening soaking wet and cold, just minutes before I was going to call his mother back in the cities and also call the police for help. I had no idea what I was going to tell her. I hunted years ago when it was ten below and when it was so warm, if I’d had orange underwear I would have been sitting in it. I hunted in a blizzard once when you couldn’t see three feet in front of you. I have shot deer at a hundred yards and some from a few feet away. I once was in my brother’s field of fire and he didn’t know it and I heard the bullet go by me, inches from my head. Then on that last year that I hunted, on the last day of hunting and not having any luck, a nice doe walked right up to my stand. I watched her looking at me seemingly surprised that I was there and not knowing which way to run. I stood up and yelled at her. “Get out of here.” I knew that day, my hunting days were over. Deer hunting has been a tradition in many families over the years. The woods way up north are dotted with old rotted stands and even some abandoned shacks that have given way to more modern conveniences For me it wasn’t just about deer but about time alone to examine your conscience. Time to come to grips with how much your loved ones meant to you and to be one with God and nature. I have given my rifles and guns to my grandsons. I hope that my example helped them to be good hunters and if not-- well that’s okay too. It’s not for everybody. I’m not a gun advocate but I believe hunting has a way of making families bond together and be responsible gun owners and users. It’s not the guns that cause trouble in this country it’s the people who have them, who have no business having them, and a sick country that makes it far too easy for them to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment