Tuesday, July 30, 2019

WHAT IS TRUE LOVE?

                                                
In 1965 the ‘Seekers’, a singing quartet from Australia, were one of the more popular groups of the time. Probably the song that identified with them the most was a song called, “I will never find another you.”At the time that song was coined I had been married just a few years. We were struggling to raise our babies and find our place in the world and whenever things got bad and I would get down she was always there to pick me up. Thinking back to those years, I know now it was that bond we had with each other that got us through. At times the second verse of that song I just mentioned would ring in my head and I remember those words today, 60 some years later, as if they were yesterday.

“There is always someone for each of us they say.
  And you’ll be my someone forever and a day.
  I could search the whole world over until my life is through.
  But I know I’ll never find another you.”

We stayed that way for almost fifty years and then cancer raised its ugly head in her body and although its been 8 years, I have moved on, I realize more every day that there will never be another her. But then and in all fairness to the one I now care for, life was never meant to be a comparison. We are all special in our own way. It was a different time and a different place and I feel so blessed to have a second partner to share my life with. Maybe it’s fitting that another song I remember from the Seekers was called “A world of our own.---We’ll build a world of our own that no one else can share. All our sorrows we’ll leave, far behind us there.”

I just witnessed a wedding that fell apart at the seams almost as soon as the ink on the certificates was dry and it has left a lot of people shaking their heads and asking, “What went wrong?” Far be it from me to speculate why. All I know now is, I see the hurt and confusion that is left behind and it will take a long time to get over it. I know this-- they never felt the love we felt for each other back then--or I do now-- or they would still be together.

My grandparents were married sixty some years and when grandpa talked about grandma his whole demeanor would change. A smile would cross his face and he looked like he had won the lottery. In reality he had something winning the lottery can’t buy. They lived with each other into their eighties when she had a debilitating stroke and had to be put in a home. He, alone for the first time simply died of a broken heart. The question, “What is true love,” has been asked from time immemorial. Books and poems have been written about it, songs have been sung about it but the question still remains. My theory is that when you are willing to put your partner’s own well-being and happiness, in front of your own, then you’re well on your way to a lasting relationship. God meant for us to enjoy our time together and so he taught us to love and respect each other and how to live together in harmony. For you see in that kind of a relationship there is no winning and losing, just loving and sharing, the good and the bad and that is what true love is all about.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment