Friday, August 30, 2019

A TRUE SURVIVOR

                                           

Many years ago, I went on a fishing jaunt up by the border with some friends in northern Minnesota. We came upon this little resort that looked all run down and in need of attention and after stopping and meeting the old lady that ran it by herself, we found out why it didn’t have any modern conveniences. She told us it was the way she wanted it and the way she was going to keep it. She had some bait boxes at the end of the dock and some pop or beer for sale. A couple of old basic cabins sat on the hill where you could stretch out for a night. No reservations though. If they were available, and most likely were, you could get one for a cheap price. The place did have electricity and a phone line for emergencies in the main house.  It was not the kind of place the females in my family, at that time would have stayed at. The toilet was out back and there was no place to plug in a hairdryer. You see this place was so far off the beaten path that to go there, meant you wanted to go there. It was hard to find the place by accident, there were no roads into it that I saw and it looked like you had to come by boat. For years she had run the place with her husband until he passed away and now in the last years of her life she was trying to hang on to what they once had together and she was going to do that until her earthly life was over. She admitted that not that many people came any more, because she lacked all but the basic necessities. All she had to offer was pretty much right there at the end of the dock selling bait and drinks and her hospitality. I’m not going to mention where this was, because by now I’m sure she has passed away and so has her business. Although the remoteness was for me at the time the allure, I’m sure it isn’t that way anymore. There’s just not much true wilderness left.

I couldn’t help thinking about that lady after I returned to what I called civilization. I tried to picture what it was like for her in the winter, all-alone in that wilderness. But then I would rationalize and think you know what? She never knew about the threats we all face everyday in this world. The pressures and responsibilities of work, and caring for a family. Taxes and pension funds, health care, cars and traffic. She was just one with nature out there and it was her living and maybe her religion. I’m sure I didn’t know the whole story. There were other resorts fairly close by and I’m sure she knew about them and they about her. But a part of me left that day envying her and the way she lived.

I see people today walking around with their phones in their faces all the time. Then I do a little self-examination and I try to think about how often I too watch the news, read the paper, surf the Internet and talk with others about the sad state of affairs this world is in. My God look at what I write about sometimes. Then I think, the most peaceful times of the day for me are the times I lace up my boots, take Molly and head for the woods. For its there, that I find myself, one with nature. I used to go longer and farther into the woods then I do today but now I think about falling and maybe getting hurt so I stick to the trails because it’s easier walking and easier for someone to come and find me if I can’t make it out. Oh yes I do have my cell phone but its in my pocket. What I am really interested in-- is right there in front of my eyes.






No comments:

Post a Comment