Tuesday, January 31, 2012

CREATION


                                                           
 There are days when I go to the woods, across the road from my house, and find my spot on the bank of the river; and just sit down with my back to an old oak tree and soak it all in. It’s ironic, because I used to do that as a kid, too, and I’ve never tired of it. Basically, the scene is the same, and so are the actors when they are there. It’s just my perception that has changed. You see, as a child, my world and the people in it were virtually unblemished, or at least to me they were. The world was far more peaceful and unspoiled back then, at least, what I knew of it was. I never worried from one day to the next that anyone would, or could, harm this unspoiled jewel of nature that lay out before me. Even back then, what I actually saw was far from perfect. I just didn’t know the difference. My life back then was built on dreams, and you see, dreams rarely have complications.

Now, as an old man, I still dream but instead of dreaming of how I want it to be, I now dream of how I wished it had been. If age brings us anything, it brings us a sense of reality, and as the old “Serenity Prayer” says—“The wisdom to know the difference.” The wisdom of having seen so many things go wrong, and also go right, in life. Basically, it’s what worked and what didn’t work. You learn so much from your mistakes, but there is a much better way to learn your lessons. That way is when you learn from others’ mistakes, or discover your own mistakes before anyone knows you made them, and you correct them. 

I believe in creation. I believe this world is just too perfect for someone to not have had a hand in all of this. I also believe that “the someone,” who had a hand in this, must be very sad when he sees what has happened. But it was predestined to happen because we ourselves are so imperfect, and he knew that. Mankind has been driven to find new and better ways to do everything, and often at the expense of others and our world. It’s our definition of “better” that comes into question for many. What could be better than what I am looking at right now? A lazy river that is a refuge for so many creatures, and me, slowly winding its way to the sea.

But we are an inquisitive bunch, and we churn out new inventions and products; sometimes long before we have gotten used to what we have. There seems to be no way to slow the pace. To try and make the world a better place to live in, is admirable, until greed raises its ugly head. I read a quote from a man, one James Roberts, that said, “No matter how much we consume, we never get closer to happiness; we only speed up the treadmill.” There is an answer, however, and what I am doing today is part of it—just stepping off the treadmill for a while. I hope that fifty years from now somebody will sit in this same place and soak it up, too. That this place will still be somewhat pristine; and in the mad rush to make it all happen, we can still go and find this peace. “The New Year lies before us like a spotless tract of snow. Be careful how you tread on it, because every track will show.” Author Unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment