Friday, January 16, 2015

POPE FRANCIS

                                               
On more then one occasion, I have listened to Pope Francis speak, and all I can say is, “What a breath of fresh air.” There are over a billion Catholics in this world and for one of the first times in my fifty-five years of being one, there seems to be a man at the top who truly cares about, not only the church he leads but those outside of the Catholic Church too. Gone is much of the hard line rhetoric that the church has engaged in, in the past, and here with Francis, are those conciliatory gestures meant to soften that rigid stance and seem more sincere to all of us, in a fast changing world.

There is an old saying that “you can catch more bees with honey then vinegar.” I think Pope Francis recognizes this and in his embrace of the poor and seemingly unfaithful he is saying, “I’ll take the high road here and if you will listen to me, I will listen to you.” I think this gesture when he became pope, in taking the name of the beloved Saint Francis, in of itself, was meant to say to the Catholic leaders and the faithful. “I want my papacy to be more about love and caring, and not just promoting and governing the Catholic Church.” St. Francis of Assisi was the epitome of serving others and in reality, he, a humble Friar was never ordained as a Catholic Priest. He didn’t need that kind of support to become what he was. He simply led by his own quiet, humble, example and Catholics and non-Catholics alike revere him and now the leader of the church, is emulating him.

The popularity of this Pope provides the real evidence that this is a man for all people and not just those who pledge obedience to him because he is their leader. When I was a young man I was the oldest of eight children. My father continually warned me that I needed to set a good example for my siblings. That they looked up to me and they would copy me. Pope Francis knows the world is watching him too and he is setting that example we all need to follow. Influential leaders are hard to find in this world. When one does come along that seems to have many followers and even some with no spiritual connection to him, it is heartwarming indeed. It shows that people still recognize and will follow someone who seems sincere and gives them hope for a better life.

As for the Catholic Church there is always room for improvement and Pope Francis is doing that. Weeding out waste and inconsistencies. Challenging Cardinals, Priests and Bishops to clean up their act and remember what their true vocation is all about and policing those who have gone astray instead of hiding them. It is doubtful that the Pope will orchestrate much change in the rules the church lives by. Those rules are the bedrock of a religion that has existed for over two thousand years. But before this Pope is done we may all have a better understanding of why the rules can’t be changed and not—“just because I told you so.” We also may have a better idea of why people are leaving the Catholic faith and how to interest them again. But the biggest thing that may come out of all of it is, starting a dialogue between other faiths and people without any faith, because we will never understand each other, until we get to know, love and respect each other.


Submitted by Mike Holst 14042 Big Pine Trail Crosslake MN. 56442 218 851 0386

No comments:

Post a Comment