Monday, March 7, 2016

MY BIRTHDAY

                                                         
So today, March 5th, is my 75 birthday anniversary. I am entering, in all probability, the last quarter of my life. If there is a fifth quarter I will be truly surprised and amazed. As I look back over the first three quarters of my life, I feel so blessed. The good lord has not just graced me with so many good things but life went so well for me because he has been on this journey with me, every step of the way. It was his presence during the bad times that lightened the load and his steady hand on me that made the good times so happy. I felt him rejoicing right there with me. I am sure when this journey is over he will be standing there to welcome me home.

Somewhere in that first quarter of life, with my parents and siblings, I learned what a loving family was all about. They laid the foundation I have built my life on. Somewhere in that first quarter of life I found my own true love and that was the missing piece of the puzzle for me, the essential ingredient for having my own family. It was a time of growing up with each other, through sharing, caring and sacrifice but we made it all happen together.

In the second quarter of my life we built on that love and tried to instill it in our children. This was the time when we really got to know each other. We suffered together as we lost parents. We lamented over an empty nest and watched those kids we loved so much, now going out to show us what they were made of. Wrinkles and gray hair and all kinds of wear showed up. Shakespeare said, “With Mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come” and we did. Life back then was truly a lesson in love and commitment and we looked forward to the next quarter.

In the third quarter life became so much easier. So many responsibilities were being shed with kids finding their own way and jobs winding down. Grandkids were our new passion and although we had little control, the lessons of the past came through as we watched them emulate their parents who had emulated us. Retirement and travel and the house on the lake and then after 10 glorious years in retirement, God took her home and for a while I struggled with that but time and faith, heals souls and hearts everyday and they did for me too. 

Today at the start of that last quarter my loving friend and I are enjoying the Florida sun and taking life one day at a time. We take nothing for granted anymore but the fact that we are here to love and support each other no matter what life brings. That the friends and family we have loved and enjoyed along the way, have been the magic sauce in this time tested recipe for life. For that I am truly grateful. Maya Angelou said and I quote, “Let gratitude be the pillow on which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.”           

                                                                        Mike

                                                                                   



No comments:

Post a Comment