Wednesday, June 6, 2018

THE ROYAL WEDDING

                                               

I’m an early riser as has always been my habit. Some days earlier then I want to be and on Saturday May 19th,it was one of those mornings and there I was, wide awake at five a.m. Bored and restless I tuned on the television-- and yes-- I have one in the bedroom. But this morning instead of the usual bad news and self-serving news commentary, it was the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markel on the tube. I hadn’t intended to watch it, but this morning I seemed to be drawn to it. Maybe that’s what it takes to get my attention sometimes. A new morning with a fresh mind, uncluttered with the usual parade of problems we all have.

I have never been much on royalty during my life. I guess I felt we were all born as equals in Gods eyes and that no one is more excellent then anyone else. Born into poverty myself, my father always told me to hold my head high. That I was as good as the next man-- but not one bit better, But then I also had a thought that asked-- “Who said the Royal Family thought they were better then anyone else.” That on one hand they were fortunate to be born into royalty and on the other they were given the unenviable task of living their entire lives in the public eye. That like it or not, the eyes of the world were upon them, every moment of their lives.

For the most part the Royal family has always tried to show their best side. To be an example to the rest of us of how to treat others. To be a living lesson on how to live an honorable life, with love and respect towards others. Yes, they have faltered sometimes but after all we can’t take the human factor out of it can we? A faltering made even more unforgiving sometimes by the relentless scrutiny of a media that forgot a long time ago that the royalty were such things as human beings.

I couldn’t help but think while watching all of those people in England, dressed in their best finery and witnessing this wedding, that somewhere this morning in Syria or Yemen or a thousand other places there were other human beings dressed in rags, on the verge of dying from starvation and sickness who weren’t even aware of this grand celebration, because each day is just another day for them, to just fight for survival. It seems nonsensical that the hate that seems to permeate this world can’t be overcome by all the good that comes with simply loving one other.

Maybe that’s what our sick country needs to get our minds off of the corruption and political greediness of the way we do business here. We need somebody here amongst us, in the flesh to lead us and be that guiding light. Someone who doesn’t care about more wars, money and power or some corrupt political Ideology. Oh, there are people like that here in our mix, don’t get me wrong. I think either they are too scared to get into that political fray, for fear they might have to become like them, or they feel as I sometimes do. That the pendulum has swung so far off the centers to ever get it back where it belongs, and now it’s next to imposable and they, like the rest of us, are now in a survival mode. After World War II the rest of the world once looked up to this nation and its people. Believe me, we squandered all of that good will a long time ago and today were not a good example for anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment