Monday, February 10, 2020

SOME THOUGHTS I NEVER WANTED TO WRITE ABOUT


I have never wanted to write about politics. In my world it is a personal thing and no one has the power or the right to tell you how to believe. I write now to have a discussion, not an argument but I need to show you an example of when politics went to far for me.

As I write this today, I am breaking my word but I feel the example is so strong that it is the only way I can accurately describe what has happened to politics and politicians in our country today. Why I am breaking my word is because at the time this happened, I vowed to keep it to myself. At that time, I felt I would have lost my job had I came forward but beyond that I became good friends with the man’s family and I wanted to not paint him in a bad light for my own selfish revenge. Actually, when we both retired, we became good friends and I had forgiven him.

I lived in the same town I worked in and there was an election for city council. There was one particular candidate, who I supported, who was not my boss’s choice. I let this candidate put a political sign in my yard. I was called into the office and was told in no uncertain terms to remove the sign. The words, “You will no longer be working here,” were not said but they were insinuated. I had a wife and three kids and needed my job.

I was shocked that in America this could happen but I did as I was told. I was to find out later in life, as I grew in the organization that this was the way to get along. After we both retired and met socially on a level playing field, I never brought the subject up but it was always there right on the edge. He has since passed away and it is my wish that he has eternal peace. I remain friends of the family. He was a far different person, after he was no longer in power. In fact, he was a good person and good to me.

Politics made that man do what he did and today as I look out over the political landscape, I see many examples of people who are being used, against their beliefs, for the sake of the party. They simply bite their tongue and do as they are told. They need to get along, to come along, or go home. We used to call that extortion but in todays world it seems to be acceptable.

The past few weeks in congress, as we the people sat on the side lines, two political parties spent weeks of the governments time fighting over impeachment. It reminded me of a man and a woman in a bitter divorce arguing and fighting it out in front of the kids. The kids, at that point simply didn’t matter anymore. In congress it was ‘we the people’ that didn’t matter anymore. 

We can change this because there is a time when we will matter and it’s on November 4th. Those selfish lawmakers will have no way to control who we vote for. We need not be vindictive but we need not forget what they have done to us and our country and hold them accountable. They don’t deserve our trust, or our votes because we have seen their true colors and believe me, we can do better. They are not going to act—so  we must.

.

1 comment:

  1. Well put Mike. It's ironic that we rant about term limits from time to time, while overlooking the fact that we already have a term limits option - otherwise known as our right to vote for those who support our Constitution while implementing programs which protect our freedoms, sustain the Rule of Law and improve our standard of living.

    ReplyDelete