Wednesday, June 17, 2015

TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

                                    
I have had many lists that I have compiled over the years. There is my wish list, which rarely changes because---well lets face it. It’s a wish list and Publishers Clearing House hates me. My bucket list that changes a lot because I have fulfilled a few things off it and found a few more things that tickled my fancy. My honey do list because I like doing things for her as she does for me. My Christmas list and my grocery list are two more. Then there is my dreaded S#@% list although to be honest I found it distasteful a long time ago and I don’t have anyone on that one anymore. I have found there are people in life I should tastefully ignore. I also realize they probably have the same opinion of me and I learned a long time ago, if the tail isn’t wagging and the lips are pulled back. Moving on is the best move.

I have become more adventurous in my old age and a Lot of things that were on my bucket list; have been brought front and center. Especially since I have an adventurous companion to share the fun with. I have told you many times that I’m a realist and I know that time is not on my side and its almost time for me to fish or cut bait. For years it was always something to not get that worked up about. Tomorrow would come and with it a new opportunity. But lately the handwriting on the wall gets bolder and bolder. This spring, for the first time, in a long while, I had some health concerns and nothing that was really going to put me down for the long haul but long enough to get my attention and it did.

Bob Dylan wrote in his lyrics to “The Times they are a changin. “Come gather round people, wherever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown and except it that soon you will be drenched to the bone. If your time to you is worth saving, then you better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone. For the times they are a changin.” Dylan was a young man when he wrote these lyrics and ironically he and I are the same age. He had great foresight and I bet those prophetic words mean much more to him today, they when he wrote them.

For so many of us elders the times they really are a changin and like it or not we can choose to except it or ignore it, but we can’t overrule it. Were not in charge anymore. As humans we live our entire lives in three dimensions, the past, the present and the future. There was a time when the future was bright and less uncertain and we couldn’t wait to live it, just as soon as we could get there and we all planed on doing just that. As for the past, we were still making most of our memories and they were way too fresh to ruminate on so we essentially lived in the moment with an eye to the future. But there comes a time later in life when we still live much of our time in the moment like we always did-- but now our eyes are turned 180 degrees to the past, more and more and more each day.
Here’s Dylan again.
“The line it is drawn, the curse it is cast. The slow one now will later be fast. As the present now will later be past. The order is rapidly fading and the first one now will later be last. For the times they are a changin.”
I wonder if he realized back then how spot on he was. I know when I heard those words back in the sixties they didn’t mean what they mean to me now.



No comments:

Post a Comment