Friday, July 31, 2015

CHARLESTON

                                                            CHARLESTON

I was saddened to hear of the shootings in that church in Charleston a few weeks back. It seems not a week goes by and sometimes not even days or hours between such incidents, where another person takes it upon his/her self to take someone’s life, just because they represent something to him or her they don’t like. But despite all of the nonsensical arguments of the gun lobby blocking background checks and the other side of the aisle that wants all of our guns taken away, the real problem lies in the hatred that runs unabated in this country. It is utterly foolish to think we can strip away all of the means that someone can use to hurt someone. It is equally foolish to think that if you strap that big iron on your hip you’re safe.

A couple of days after the shootings I listened to the friends and relatives of the victims, as it seemed they almost felt more sorry for the shooter, then for their loss. I could only shake my head and say. “My God I wish I could be that forgiving of people who have harmed me or my loved ones.” What faith-- what an example to this weary screwed up nation, filled with hate and erupting egos. What’s also a shame is despite those of us who profess to be Christians-- and by the way for me, that is where that attitude of forgiveness was first introduced, that we seem to be shocked to see that happen. Here were forgiving people, walking the walk and not just talking the talk.

I would pray that those who feel that hate is the way to solve our problems in this country, would follow the example of those humble people in Charleston. Those who gave us all an example of how to live. I am often drawn in my life to the prayer of St Francis of Assisi when he prayed, “Lord make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred let me sow love. Where there is injury pardon.” Think of what I just quoted and then think of what those people said to that man who killed their loved ones and tell me you can’t draw a parallel there.

Life seems to be some days a battle between humility and arrogance. Greed and selfishness, against love and caring. People hate others they know nothing about, for no other reason then simply because they are different then them. Their own selfish twisted minds, for some crazy reason, think they are the poster boys for all that is good in this world, when in reality its actually visa versa. Annj Somany said and I quote,” There is no respect between the souls of two individuals if their minds can’t trust each other and there is no trust between them, if there hearts can’t except the truth of each other.”


We are a nation of immigrants from all over the world. We have to accept that there is going to be great differences in how we look, how we worship, the languages we speak and even the food we eat. That’s what was supposed to make this nation great. That we would be this great melting pot and in a more perfect world we would draw strength and wisdom from each other and maybe somewhere down the road-- we would be a more perfect society, carved out of the best of everyone and that we would love and respect each other. It hasn’t worked out that way because acceptance and humility doesn’t seem to be in our nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment