Wednesday, September 30, 2015

DEALING WITH, FOR BETTER OR WORSE



Today I had a note from a dear friend who has lost her husband to dementia. She went on to say that every day brings with it new challenges for him and her. She never knows what to expect or how he will act from one day to the next. She only knows that this man, whom she has loved all of their married life, is just a shell of what he once was. That the active life he once knew is over, and hers has been put on hold caring for him; that the future for them is not a week, a month, or a year down the road—it is getting through tomorrow. Thankfully, she has family that cares and loves them both very much. Their love surrounds them, but the time always comes when they, as they must do, go home to their busy lives and it’s just her and him again.

Over the past four years, I have made it a quest to try and write about the trials and tribulations that come with aging that most of us never think about. Of all of the cruel diseases that come into our lives, dementia brings with it problems that seem especially egregious because they can last for a long time. To a loving spouse this can be a big chunk of their life, too—a chunk of life taken away at a time when they have so little left to give in the remaining years. I cared for my wife, who had cancer, for eleven months and watched it ravage her body. The time I gave was measured in months not years, and when she passed life for me returned to a form of normalcy. If I’d had a choice I would have preferred it never happened, but we don’t get a choice, do we?

A family member of my own extended family has Alzheimer’s. Over the years, I have watched him deteriorate. He is at a point now where he is locked in his own little world. Still happy, but not that aware of the world or those around him. In his better days this man was an accomplished carpenter. He still has that muscular body that came from years of tipping walls, carrying sheeting and sheet rock, but right now there is little he can do but watch television. His wife must be on guard for his well-being all of the time—giving him his meds and feeding and clothing him. You think back over the years when your kids were little, and you had to get a sitter to care for them just to have a few hours to yourself, but you knew that the day would come when they would be responsible for themselves and you would have your freedom back. The difference here was that you were dealing with a developing mind, that you had great hopes for, and not a deteriorating mind that once was great.

We have all had heroes in our lives and these two women are high on my list. A long time ago they professed their love and commitment to their spouses. Now they are showing the world and us what better or worse, sickness and health really means to them. I remember a time toward the end of my wife’s life when things were especially hectic and precarious. Maybe it showed on my face, I don’t know, but from her sickbed she told me, “I am so sorry to put you through this.” I usually have an answer for most things, but I had no answer for that except to say, “You would have done the same.” I really believe she would have cared for me in the same way.

We all have our limits and capabilities no matter what the situation. This was not meant to cast judgement on those who cannot care for their loved ones.






No comments:

Post a Comment