Wednesday, September 6, 2017

THE SINKING OF THE QUEEN MARY

                                  

My neighbors had an old rowboat that sat chained to a tree for years and was never used. At one time I actually thought it was holding up the tree. Then they sold the place and the old boat went with it. The new family promptly put it in the lake and put an equally old motor on it and christened it the “Queen Mary.” She sat there tied to the dock with the big boys, proud once more to be part of the fleet. When the family came up for the weekend you would see their teenage son Jack, take his fishing pole and fire up that smoky old Johnson and set a course for the prime fishing grounds. The queen never looked prouder.

Then a few weeks ago they took a vacation to California and the shoreline and dock were deserted, all except for the Queen tied to her moorings. On Thursday of that week we got three inches of rain and the Queen now filled to the gunnels with rainwater had a slight list to port but her bow still stood proud and beckoning to the fishing flats of Big Pine. An area rivaled only by the grand banks of the western Atlantic. I noticed all of this from my house high above the boat but felt the Queen had weathered worse things, so I paid scant attention to the predicament she was in. That put me somewhere in the company of those two guys that were in the crows-nest telling jokes and smoking English tobacco that fateful night when the Titanic kissed that iceberg with such tragic results. Never the less it was late, so I went to bed.

The next morning dawned damp and foggy with a mist that hung over the lake and you could scant see the shoreline. But as the sun came up and the mist burned off, the horror of it all came home. Sometime during the night, the Queen Mary had quietly sunk into the depths of Big Pine Lake. I walked to the dock with a heavy heart. She didn’t deserve this. The fog was still hugging the lake and somehow in the back of my mind, and coming out of the mist I could hear Celine Dion singing, “My heart will go on.” There was an image of a man standing on the end of that ghostly dock, shrouded in the mist that I swear looked just like Leonardo DiCaprio. Kate Winslet must have gone down with the boat I reasoned. I was horror struck.

The next morning the salvage crew-- namely me-- came and raised the queen once more. With a gurgling she came up, bow first. The debris field bubbling up out of the depths, with her once proud bow. Unlike the Titanic she had been found right away and the depths allowed for rapid recovery. Her fuel tank came first, upside down and a snicker wrapper followed. Then a wooden oar and a Styrofoam cup with the words, “night crawlers” written on the side of it. I could only think, “Oh if that old gal could talk, the stories she would tell.” Thankfully no Kate Winslet showed up.


Winched to shore and salvaged the Queen went to dry dock and was re -outfitted. Her holds and bilges were drained. Her fuel tank put back in place and her three horse Johnson dried out. Today she sits snuggly back in her berth, not a casualty like the Titanic but a proud survivor of a near tragedy in the notorious depths of Big Pine Lake. Ah yes my friends. May we all utter together-“ God save the Queen Mary.”

No comments:

Post a Comment