Wednesday, March 11, 2015

FLORIDA

                                                            
I am writing this today, Jan 28th, before leaving for a month in Florida. I can’t begin to tell you the misgivings I’m having before I leave. Sometimes there is a degree of sacrifice that goes with leaving the place you love, albeit a short time. I am a creature of habit. I can’t relate to what it’s going to be like, to not walk down that road each morning to get my newspaper and come back to that kitchen smelling of freshly brewed coffee. Then there is Molly —oh my God-- I am going to miss that dog, even though I know she is being well cared for.  I’ll miss my church with so many friends I have learned to pray with and associate with. The sunshine boys and how am I going to get along with out that string of B.S. I watered my plants this morning and I have made arrangements for them to be cared for. Some of them have been with me for decades.

I have gone places before but only for a week or so, except for when my wife and I had the motor home. That made it better because it was still our home with our stuff inside of it. But even then, I yearned for the lakes and woods and the newspaper. Crosslake is addictive and those of us, who have learned to appreciate it, know what I am talking about. I am pretty much taking a month off from writing, which in itself is a sacrifice for me. There is always so much to talk about and so little time left to do it. But I do look forward to spending time with Pat and seeing a place I have only read about before. I know she will be a great companion to have along. There are people in this world who make you just feel better about yourself. People who sometimes complete you and she does that for me.

I am fast approaching my mid seventies and I have found that just like a car that goes over a hill, the trip down the other side, picks up speed all the way down, unless you do something to slow it. But my brakes are not what they used to be, so even my best efforts to slow it down can still leave life whistling by. Your memory changes and you start using word like short term and long term. Long term is remembering the day you bought those pants you’re wearing at Fleet Farm. Short term is remembering to zip your pants back up-- and really short term is remembering to unzip them before you---awe you know where I am going with this.

I’m back from Florida now and it’s the first week in March. Winter doesn’t seem to have the same sting now that it had before we left and there is hope it’s mostly over despite the fact it’s still cold here and we drove back in a storm that last day. Molly hasn’t left my side since I picked her up and the first night home she kept coming in the bedroom to make sure I was still there. My hope is to do it all again next winter, with Molly along this time-- but I know that no matter where I go and no matter how warm it is there and how cold it is here, my heart will always be in Crosslake with the place and the people I love.




No comments:

Post a Comment